- “Mapping and Making California’s Water”
May 31, 2014
- “In Conversation with Governor Jerry Brown”
June 18, 2014
- “Urban Nature Isn’t What You Think”
Conversations in Place
October 19, 2014
The Rancho Los Alamitos, Long Beach
- “It’s In Our Nature,” University of California, Los Angeles, April 2014
- “Inside the Literary Magazine,” Los Angeles Times Festival of Books, April 2014
- “Architecture, Identity, and the City of Angeles,” Tales from Two Cities: Writing from California, Los Angeles, February 2014. Video
- “A Place for Us: Reimagining and Reclaiming,” Long Beach, November 2013
- “How Climate Science Became a Debate in America,” Los Angeles, October 2013
- “Curating the Bay: Crowdsourcing a New Environmental History,” San Francisco, May 2013
- “Should We Just Adapt to Climate Change?” Los Angeles, CA, February 2013
Report | Video | Podcast
- “Thinking 150: Placing Boise in the American West,” Boise, ID, February 2013
- “Ecological Urbanisms: Our Shared History of Conservation Is an Infinite City of Possibilities for the Future,” Bay Area Open Space Conference, San Francisco, CA, May 2012.
- “Nature and the City: What Good Is Urban Conservation?” New York Academy of Sciences, April 2012.
- “History Lives Here and Now: On the Bleeding Edge of Digital Research, Online Publishing, Interactive Visualizations, and Public History,” University of New Mexico, April 2012.
- “Assessing Value: Lessons from the Arts and Social Sciences,” Western States Arts Federation, April 2012.
- “Going to the Country,” Aspen Environment Forum, May 2011.
- “Ecology Emerges Series,” San Francisco and Oakland, March – May 2010.
- “How Green?” American Association for the Advancement of Science, Pacific Division, Annual Meeting, Boise, ID, June 2007.
- “From the Tide Pool to the Stars,” Saratoga Club, January 2005; California Science Writers, San Francisco, CA, December 2004; Commonwealth Club, September 2004; City Read 2004, Danville, CA, September 2004; National Steinbeck Center, August 2004.